Championship Boxing April 30
Championship Boxing April 30

Fury v Kassi


Fury v Kassi headlines the Copper Box Arena on Saturday 30 April


Fury v Kassi


4 X 3 Minute Rounds International Heavyweight Contest

Ricky Hatton-trained heavyweight prospect Nathan Gorman announced himself on the professional stage with a first round stoppage win over Croatia’s Hrvoje Kisicek. The Mancunian mountain had his opponent down three times in the opening round before the referee waved off the contest at 2 minutes 48 seconds.


4 x 3 Minute Rounds Super-Lightweight Contest

Teenage terror Ben Smith lit up Stratford’s Copper Box Arena with an explosive points victory over Newark’s Fonz Alexander. The West Ham man picked up his third professional victory with the referee scoring the contest 40-36 in Smith’s favour.


8 X 3 Minute Rounds International Featherweight Contest

Erith man Lewis Pettitt made light work of Hungary’s Tibor Nodari in the third contest of the night. Pettitt was on top from the very first bell and dominated the ring throughout. The referee waved off the fight at 1:42 into round two and the former WBA International Champion came away with his nineteenth career win.


4 X 3 Minute Rounds International Welterweight Contest

Naseem Hamed prodigy Tony Bange was made to work for his first professional victory and survived an early onslaught from all-action Teodor Stefanov. Bange found his feet in the third round after a nervy start to life as a pro. The Staines welterweight prospect summoned his explosive ‘TNT’ power midway through the third and has his opponent hanging on. 25 year-old Bange came steaming out his corner in the fourth and final round looking for a big finish. New boy Bange took the bout with a score of 39-36.


4 X 3 Minute Rounds Super-Middleweight Contest

Enfield youngster Barney Joe Jones suffered his first professional defeat at the hands of Nottingham’s Dean Gillen. In the first barn-burner of the night Gillen came away with a points victory of 39-37. Both men put their all into an explosive slugfest.


4 X 3 Minute Rounds International Super-Lightweight Contest

24-year old Hornchurch debutant Sanjeev Sahota made a sensational start to life in the paid ranks with a first round stoppage over Latvia’s Nikita Gultjajevs. It took ‘SSS’ just 60 seconds to dispose of Gultjajevs after landing a series of punishing combinations.

6 X 3 Minute Rounds International Middleweight Contest

India’s golden boxing boy Vijender Singh continued his march towards a huge summer homecoming with a punishing stoppage win over Frenchman Matiouze Royer. Singh wasted no time and had his opponent on the back foot from the off, finding his way past Royer’s defence with accurate uppercuts.

Afterwards Vijender said: “We had a solid game plan and I stuck to it perfectly. Royer is a tough opponent and made it difficult for me at times but he couldn’t handle my power and accuracy. I felt in complete control throughout the fight and it’s a shame the ref waved it off, I wanted more!

“It felt like everything I was throwing was connecting. I’m feeling stronger with every fight and want to carry on this momentum. I’ve got a huge Indian homecoming to look forward to this summer so it’s vital I get past my next opponent in Bolton.”

Francis Warren, Singh’s promoter, said: “I’m very impressed with Vijinder tonight. He’s showed everyone what he’s capable of and I’m excited for his future. He’s completely dedicated to his training and it showed tonight. He looked levels above Royer, who’s rarely stopped. Everything is shaping up nicely for his July 16th homecoming, all he needs to do now is get past his May 13th bout in Bolton.”


6 X 3 Minute Rounds International Super-Featherweight Contest

19 year-old Super-Featherweight puncher Boy Jones Jnr picked up his eighth career win with a classy stoppage over Hungary’s Aron Sziagyi. Boy Jones unleashed a relentless barrage of powerful shots on the retreating Sziagyi who was pulled out of the contest by the referee two minutes into the fourth round.


8 X 3 Minute Rounds Super-Welterweight Contest

Unbeaten power-punching 22 year-old Joe Pigford blew away Warwick’s Mike Byles inside three minutes to pick up his tenth pro victory. Pigford has been out of the ring since July last year but showed no signs of ring rust in an impressive first round blitz. The Southampton super-welterweight man brought home the bacon, much to the delight of his noisy travelling supporters.


4 X 3 Minute Rounds Super-Featherweight Contest

Sidcup’s D.P Carr overcame Sheffield’s Qasim Hussein to claim his fourth professional victory at Stratford’s Copper Box Arena. 25 year-old Carr was on top throughout the contest and came away with a comfortable points victory. All-action Carr repeatedly found his way past Hussain’s patchy defence and made use of his explosive one punch power. The referee scored the bout 40-36 on Carr’s favour.


6 X 3 Minute Rounds International Light-Heavyweight Contest

Ilford light-heavyweight destroyer Anthony Yarde racked-up another brutal knockout win over Bulgaria’s Tzvetozar Iliev tonight at the Copper Box Arena. It’s now five knockout wins in six professional fights for the slick and powerful 24 year-old. A huge uppercut in the second round wobbled Iliev before Yarde sent his man crashing to the canvas with another solid shot.

The British Featherweight Championship
12 X 3 Minute Rounds at 126lbs

Ryan Walsh emphatically defended his British Featherweight title against Belfast’s James Tennyson at Stratford’s Copper Box Arena. Walsh, 29, put his opponent down with two solid body shots in the fifth round before the referee waved off the contest at 2 minutes 34 seconds.

Walsh v Tennyson

In a cagey opening round it was Tennyson who looked the more comfortable, earning Walsh’s respect with a series of solid straight rights. The second round started in a similar fashion before Walsh took control of the bout, landing a wave of stiff right hands on the Belfast man. Tennyson was down for the first time in the second round after Walsh connected with a crippling body shot.

A plucky response from Tennyson in the third bought him some time but Walsh, supported by his noisy Farmy Army, continued to take hold of the fight. History-making Walsh was making his shots count; picking Tennyson off with solid jabs.

Walsh carved his name into the boxing history records last September when he joined super-featherweight brother Liam as the first set of twins to simultaneously hold British titles and looked determined to keep hold of his prize.

The British title was won in the fifth round after the impressive Cromer star put Irishman Tennyson down with another crippling body shot. A brave Tennyson beat the referees count before the contest was waved-off at 2 minutes 38 seconds.

The Commonwealth Super-Flyweight Championship
12 X 3 Minute Rounds at 115lbs

Belfast hero Jamie Conlan claimed the Commonwealth Super-Flyweight title from South Shields’ Anthony Nelson in what will surely go down as the fight of the year. The all-action Irishman finally won the gripping tear-up in the eighth round after putting the brave Nelson down for a final time.

In an explosive opening round both men were happy to trade huge blows. Conlan took the first round by dropping his South Shields opponent, despite already suffering from a nasty cut on his left eye.

In the second round both men continued to throw bombs at will in what was already developing into a classic. It was blink and you’ll miss it stuff at the Copper Box Arena as the gripping Commonwealth title dustup captivated the crowd.

Conlan went down for the first time in the third round after being caught by a solid shot from the resurgent Nelson. Fight fans around the world were witnessing a true barn-burner as both men threw everything they had at each other.

‘Baby Faced’ Nelson went down for a second time in the fifth as Conlan looked for a big finish. Amazingly, Nelson recovered again and began to take control of the bout at the half way point. 30 year-old Nelson appeared to be stronger after his second knockdown and began to dictate the speed of the fight.

Braveheart Conlan claimed the Commonwealth title in the eighth round after flooring Nelson with a crippling left hook to the body. Ultimately it was Conlan who came away with the Commonwealth title but both men won the hearts of all those watching with truly heroic performances.

HUGHIE FURY WPTS4 (69-66, 70-64, 69-65) VS. FRED KASSI
The Vacant WBO Intercontinental Heavyweight Championship
12 X 3 Minute Rounds

Manchester heavyweight prospect Hughie Fury outpointed Fred Kassi to claim his first professional title in the Vacant WBO Intercontinental Heavyweight championship at the Copper Box Arena. Fury, cousin of World Heavyweight Champion Tyson, looked in complete control of the bout before the referee stopped the contest in the sixth round after a cut to Fury’s left eye caused by an accidental clash of heads left him unable to continue.

Fury v Kassi

New Orleans-based Kassi attempted to make life difficult for Fury by switching between orthodox and southpaw but 21 year-old Fury comfortably dealt with everything thrown his way. A low key third round saw Fury move from second gear into third, still dictating the pace of a tactical bout.

A nasty gash on undefeated Fury’s left eye began to open up after an accidental clash of heads in the sixth round. With blood streaming down the heavyweight prospect’s face an early stoppage loomed. The referee decided to end the title contest in the eighth round after taking a close look at the damaged eye.

With Fury unable to continue it went to the judges’ score cards. All three judges scored the fight in Fury’s favour (69-66, 70-64, 69-65) and the mancunian heavyweight destroyer took his record to 20-0.

12 X 3 Minute Rounds at 130lbs

Cromer’s British and Commonwealth super-featherweight Champion Liam Walsh defended his titles with an eighth round stoppage win over Troy James to retain both his titles on the same night that twin brother Ryan emphatically defended his British title against James Tennyson; another first for British boxing.

Walsh v James

Walsh, who had been out of action since suffering a hand injury in the build up to his WBO world title eliminator against Petr Petrov, didn’t show any signs of ring rust as he soaked up an energetic flurry of shots form James.

Both men were made to miss in the second as confidence grew in each corner. 29 year-old Walsh picked his shots well and was the more effective of the two men. After being dubiously knocked down in the third James came back with vengeance, landing a series of well-timed combinations.

James maintained his impressive work rate in the fourth but the champion’s class begun to shine through. More quality shots from Walsh followed in the fifth as the world-title chasing man took control of the fight. A sapping body shot from Walsh in the sixth threatened to topple James before he regained his composure and returned fire.

A determined Walsh began to lay it on in the eighth, connecting with numerous razor sharp shots. The classy Walsh was determined to make an explosive return to action after a long lay-off and he certainly did that. James’ corner threw in the towel 1 minute and 22 seconds into the eighth round to seal a memorable night for the Walsh clan.



Catch up on the latest news from our events and stable of fighters

See all news

Never miss an event

Sign up for newsletter and receive the updates about the upcoming fights
Newsletter Signup:
©2023 Frank Warren